Thursday, March 5, 2009

Midwestern Spring Thunderstorms

Growing up in the Pacific Northwest, I consider myself a Midwestern "transplant". Although we've been here nearly three years (and spent a year in Wisconsin), I'm still amazed at the different weather patterns of the two regions.

In the PNW we sort of ease into spring, which then creeps into summer and lasts a wee bit longer into autumn, before easing on into the winter. It is a gentle transition without much fanfare.

In the Midwest, the weather seems to prefer a stage. In late winter/early spring we get a smattering of spring tease days before Mother Nature kicks another few feet of snow on anticipating hearts. We thaw, and freeze -- thaw and freeze until spring finally arrives. You know spring has finally arrived when it stays light out later in the evening, when your neighbors venture out past the mailbox and you see the shoots of daffodils in late March or early April (those same daffodil shoots started in early January in the PNW!).

What I really love are the major thunderstorms that roll through the Midwest After every one is tucked into bed, I love sitting on my couch and looking out all the windows of my home. I see the sky light up in all different directions and wonder how long it will take before I see another flash of lightening or hear the loud booming thunder. I guess which direction the lightening will shoot down as well as how loud the thunder will be.

The rain in the Midwest is not like the rain in the Seattle area. When it rains it pours out here. Soaking wet rain. You can't pop in and out of the car without an umbrella. No little drizzle that may ruin the perfectly coiffed hairdo -- no...this rain will soak you and possibly flood your basement.

Last spring my 90 year old Grandmother came to visit and experienced her first Midwestern thunderstorm. It was fun to watch her reactions. It's cool and scary, but I love them!

This past weekend we had some great storms on Sunday. We woke up to grey dark skies. It is spooky how you can not only see the storm coming...but you can "feel" it and "smell" it too. You can feel a change in the air and smell the sweet rain miles away. After the long winters I look forward to smelling the fresh rain. Maybe that's a part of the Seattle girl that will never go away -- no matter how far I roam.

Another interesting "Midwestern tidbit" that tickles my fancy is how the people out here moan and groan about the "weather" if it rains more than 2-3 days in a row. While they can withstand the bitter cold...Midwesterners love their sun. I was chuckling the other day when a group of moms were lamenting about the rain. Please! Two days is nothing! It rained consecutively for 250 days during my first year of law school!

Since I started training for a 1/2 marathon Sundays are my long run days. Despite the weather, I try to get outside to run. This is somewhat problematic during the spring storms, however, I've found that in the Midwest the weather forecasts are generally more reliable than in the PNW. Reprieves in storm systems can be calculated based on how fast the storm is moving across the plains. There are no Mountain ranges like the Olympics or the Cascades to slow things down. So, while it will pour for an hour or so you can be sure that inevitably the skies will open up and the sun will shine through.

Brian and I timed our 6 mile run during one of those storm reprieves. Although the wind was really blowing, we were able to make it to the Peoria Heights water tower and back before the rain hit again. I loved running in the wind. The temperature was perfect, and everything was quiet -- save the few sirens in the distance warning people of the tornado watch.

While I miss the rain in Seattle, I'm learning to love the unique weather quirks the Midwest offers. This Midwestern "transplant" makes every effort to find the silver lining and "bloom where [I am ] planted."

Bring on the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment