Sunday, March 29, 2009

Spring Break Update--Palm Springs etc.

Recently I traveled to Palm Springs, California with my two boys. We met my parents at the Oasis Resort -- a beautiful resort nestled in the Valley with magnificent views of the canyons. Jackson calls it "the Hawaii place" because of all the Palm Trees. It truly is a bit of paradise -- especially after enduring a long Midwestern winter.

Unfortunately, Brian was not able to join us, so I flew solo with the boys. Jackson is a good traveler, but Charlie gets a bit frustrated having to sit still for four hours. A small price to pay for a week of paradise.

Our condo this year was great -- right by the pool, which was convenient with Charlie in tow.




I have to admit I was worried that Charlie would require a lot of attention by way of constant entertainment, but he took to the water like a fish! I was amazed. He would float on his back without fussing at all. He loved to be held by others in the water and created a new game for himself by kicking his feet and moving his floaty towards the pool balls.




Jackson, like Charlie, loves the water too! With 80+ degree weather everyday, he spent most of his time in the water. Since the prominent age group of guests at the pool hovered around the mid 60's, Jackson made "friends" with everyone. The ladies who liked to have their social hour in the pool with their noodles giggled when Jackson floated up on his inflatable lizard and said: "Hi girls!". I certainly hope that a little 5 year old boy calls me a "girl" when I'm in my golden years.

Luckily, there were a few other kids near Jackson's age. He created all sorts of games with rules, which oddly favored his position.

We'd spend the entire day at the pool, head back to the codo, clean up, head out for some putt putt golf or shopping and then cook a nice BBQ meal. By the end of dinner, Jackson was normally falling asleep in his chair.



Half way through the trip we headed NW towards Anaheim, CA to Disneyland. The weather couldn't have been better. We had a fantastic time, and Charlie got to ride his first Dubmo ride and Jungle Cruise. Perhaps the most exciting event was getting stuck in the haunted mansion with Jackson for 1/2 an hour. We were freezing, but luckily we were stuck in a car and not in that crowded room. I think I would have passed out from having to stand that long!



Jackson went up in the tree house with Grandpa and enjoyed the Tiki Room with Grandma and Charlie. I actually got to ride the "new" Indiana Jones ride, which I thought was overrated. We all rode the Buzz Lightyear ride and I kicked butt with my razor-sharp shooting skills!




While we enjoyed all the rides, I really can't wait for Jackson to be old enough to go (and go willingly) on Thunder Mountain. It is my favorite ride! However, he did ride the Toon Town rollercoaster this year without completely freaking out.

By the end of the day we were all exhausted. Poor Jackson couldn't even walk! My dad had to carry him out of the park on his shoulders. We just missed the night parade and fireworks...but we left on a good note while everyone was relatively still intact. Jackson literally fell asleep as soon as we got in the car.



We enjoyed the rest of our trip relaxing by the pool. I have to admit that I DREADED having to leave. I loved being able to run in the mornings with the cool air and the smell of orange blossoms. Lounging pool-side, soaking up the sun and family time just can't be beat! Sign me up for 2 weeks next year! I'm seriously hoping Brian will finally join us all next year.




Upon returning to Peoria, we were thrilled to see Brian. However, since our return, it has snowed twice. The last of the snow was April 6, 2009. I'm beginning to think that this is the perpetual winter like The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. To make matters worse, we all wound up sick -- at the same time.

Besides getting healthy, our family has been busy with the business of life. We have been fostering two cats for the past month, but I'm sad to say that their time is up. As sweet as they are, we really don't need anymore mouths to feed or poop to clean up. Maybe when the boys are older and the dogs have died -- maybe then we'll consider getting a cat.

Speaking of CAT, Brian's been busy at work and we are thankful for that! Brian went through a Crusillo weekend a few weeks ago and had an amazing experience. I'm looking forward to my Crusillo weekend coming up at the end of the month. I've been doing some research and background reading and am excited about the future.

Jackson's soccer season is about to start. Brian is the coach and I can't wait to see the madness of a bunch of Kindergarten kids running around on a field. Charlie and I will be sitting on the sidelines cheering them on and making sure they run in the right direction. He also has T-ball coming up soon. I'm interested to see which sport he likes better -- although I'm convinced that whichever team has more girls on it, will be the "sport" Jackson likes best.

Charlie is growing and growing. 20lbs at his last visit! He's also in the 85% for height. I'd like to say I had something to do with his height, but who am I kidding? He has 4 teeth on top and two plus on the bottom. He LOVES to suck his thumb and can't fall asleep without the blanket my mom made for him. He's as sweet as pie and you can't resist snuggling him when he looks at you with his big eyes. I also think that Charlie has a bit of an impish sense of humor (like Jackson). His eyes literally twinkle with I say "NO" and the corners of his mouth turn up into a devilish grin.

Our "real" spring break is this week -- Holy week. I have the challenge of trying to keep both boys busy and alive. Today we went to Fired Up - A Pottery Painting Place with friends. We picked out some tiles, a plate and a cross. While we had "fun" painting, I was EXHAUSTED afterwards. Jackson's plate is something. I will save it for him when he gets married. Heck...I might even insist that he put it up in his home. I cringed the entire time he painted that plate and just about lost it when he "wrote" his name. It may just be the sorriest looking plate ever. Something only a mother (or a grandmother) could love. Happy Mother's Day!



The rest of the week we'll keep busy with a movie, some art projects and maybe a "do nothing" day (Those are the worst because it means mommy is constantly cleaning up and not enjoying a do nothing day for herself!).

Otherwise...I'm still "training" for the Geist 1/2 marathon on May 16th. It's slow-going especially with all the sickness and activities. I'm determined to try my best!

That's our spring update for now. Perhaps we'll have more news to share in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't California fantastic? Glad you had a good time.

    What is your secret for looking so good in a swimsuit after 2 kids. If it involves work, don't bother telling me. You look great!

    I had to tell you that Tyler LOVES Big Thunder Mountain (and Space Mountain, Matterhorn and Tower of Terror). He is too little by an inch for Indiana Jones. That kid has no roller coaster fear! We are loving Disnyland lately!

    ReplyDelete