Thursday, December 18, 2008

Midwestern Winter Travel Woes

Oh The Weather Outside is Frightful!

The joys of traveling in the Midwest during winter can make anyone grey prematurely. We had “planned” to leave Peoria today around 3:00 – after picking Jackson up from school. However, a huge ice storm is predicted to arrive just about that time with ¾ of an inch of ice. That ice, on top of existing compact snow and slush makes for a precarious three hour drive north to Chicago.

Since hearing the news, we have re-arranged our schedule several times. We first pushed back to 1:00, and now we’re hoping for an even earlier departure time. Three hours and then we’ll be at the Intercontinental Hotel at O’Hare. I have big plans to put the boys to bed and then take a nice long bath before hitting the chaos at the airport tomorrow. I’m just wondering how many times Charlie will spit up on me and if I should even bother wearing my new velvety Christmas coat. Thankfully Brian’s traveling with us, so I’ll pass Charlie off to him after I give him a bottle.

Normally, we just worry about the weather in Chicago and Peoria. However, we may now have to “weather” the weather in Seattle as well (ha, ha, ha! I'm so puny!). It’s currently snowing in Seattle, and unlike the Midwest, the Northwest isn’t as well prepared for snow. People in the northwest don’t own snow blowers or have attachments on their trucks to move snow out of their driveway. Heck…I’m not sure many people in the Northwest own a snow shovel!

I don’t mind the snow as long as there is power in Seattle. For some odd reason, the south end of Mercer Island is always the LAST to get power restored during a power outage. I think it is ironic because my dad use to be Chief Counsel for PSE. Apparently he has no pull.

I’m looking forward to some Christmas snow (and power). It will be delightful to watch the snow fall from my parent’s house. After living in the Midwest now for two plus years, I try not to take for granted the snow-covered Evergreen trees.

I love sitting in front of my parent’s fireplace at night with the twinkling lights of Christmas. On clear nights, I can look across Lake Washington and see the Christmas lights on the homes in Renton. And the Christmas Ships gliding across the lake is always a treat.

Wish us luck! With some luck, patience and determination...we’ll be home for Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leslie! It's great to read your blog...fellow blogger! ;) Hope to see you after Christmas for our girls night!

    ReplyDelete