Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"Yule Like Peoria"

"Yule Like Peoria" or so the banners say. I often joke that they forgot the question mark. Anyhoo - -Peoria dons it's Christmas attire right after Thanksgiving by hanging the banners light posts around town. I'm not sure if those banners are for newcomers, or to remind people living in Peoria that eventually, if they give it a try...they will like it.

Nevertheless, the banners are cheesy. I remember the first time I saw the banners in 2006, and wondered who thought up the ridiculous slogan. Then I thought: "Probably the same person who named restaurants: "The French Toast" and "2 Chez". Did that person get paid?

Despite the ridiculous advertising, Peoria can be a fun place during the holidays. Last night we enjoyed Jackson's school Christmas Performance. His class sang Three Ships and Suzy Snowflake -- complete with little dance moves. Jackson did very well, and was right in front! Although I have to admit that I was distracted the entire time wondering if Jackson tucked his sweater into his pants, or if his teacher inadvertently did while trying to help him. Thank goodness I got his hair cut, or I would have been thinking about the sweater and his hair the entire time.

The performance was in the new gym, which is outstanding. We sat in the bleachers because the entire gym was full. Charlie did great. I think he liked the music!

Today we are "enjoying" the snow. We are suppose to get 2-4 inches. Our neighborhood, Edgewild, is quite charming. Everyone really decorates for Christmas. We have fun driving around and picking out our favorite homes and decorations. Those Christmas decorations look especially beautiful in the fresh snow. Perhaps my favorite "Midwestern" treat is catching a glimpse of a red cardinal on a snow-studded tree branch. It's absolutely gorgeous, and something distinct to this region. (I also love the fireflies, but wait for a summer post).

So if you are ever in the area at Christmas time, I'm sure "Yule like Peoria" too.

Merry Christmas!

Love,

Leslie and Lew's Life

No comments:

Post a Comment